Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Leaving my father

Entry #1

My father must have seen it coming, but never this way. Oh, it tore him apart to find out that I went behind his back and married without his consent. One day I was going to get married to the man of my dreams and that man happened to be Othello. Who is my father to tell me other wise; that this was not love with Othello, but witchcraft. Didn’t my mother do the same; deceive her father’s permission when allowing my father to take her hand. What goes around comes around, that’s all I have to say about that. Then, has the nerve to tell me that he is ashamed of me, that if he had anymore children he would have locked them in the house so that they wouldn’t make the same mistake as me. Well if what I did was a mistake so did my mother, when she gave her hand in marriage. I’m not ashamed for giving Othello my hand; he deserves me as well as I deserve him. What I told the Duke and my father was no lie. I fell in love with Othello the old fashion way and love him no less then what he loves me. I just regret embarrassing my father in front of the Duke and senators. I should have told him the day of because at the end of the day I was still going to be Othello’s wife no matter what he said.

1 comment:

  1. Oh sweet Desdemona, don’t beat yourself up about it. Your father was going to have to give you up someday. You can’t always be his little girl who does what daddy says. He has to let you grow up and make some decisions on your own. Honestly, I would have to say he brought this upon himself. Did he and your mother not take the same steps as you and Othello? They did. Just as he said you deceived him, your mother did the same thing. You’re exactly right, what goes around comes around. And how dare he say you have shamed him. Desdemona you have done nothing wrong. He’s just upset that he can’t control your life anymore. No shame in your game. You should be allowed to love and marry who ever you want because it’s your life. If Othello loves you for who you are and you love him as he is, why not get married? Enough said about this situation.

    -Emilia

    ReplyDelete